South Camden Deanery>
S. George, Bloomsbury Way, London WC1

The Commissioners for the Fifty New Churches Act of 1711 appointed Nicholas Hawksmoor, a pupil and former assistant of Sir Christopher Wren, to design and build this church on land purchased from the widow of Lord John Russell. St. George's was consecrated in 1730 by Edmund Gibson, Bishop of London. It has a fine c18 portico and an English baroque interior.
S. George, Bloomsbury Way, London WC1
S. George, Bloomsbury Way, London WC1
S. George, Bloomsbury Way, London WC1
S. George, Bloomsbury Way, London WC1

S. Alban the Martyr, Brooke Street, London EC1

S. Alban the Martyr, Holborn was built by the architect William Butterfield in 1863. In April 1941 it was largely destroyed by firebombs. After the war Adrian Gilbert Scott designed the present building but incorporated several features of the old building that had survived the fire including the saddleback tower. The new church was consecrated in 1961. The most prominent internal feature is the mural on the east wall by the painter Hans Feibusch.

S. Alban the Martyr, Brooke Street, London EC1
S. Alban the Martyr, Brooke Street, London EC1
S. Alban the Martyr, Brooke Street, London EC1
S. Alban the Martyr, Brooke Street, London EC1
S. George the Martyr, Queen Square, London WC1

This church was built in 1704. In 1867 in was drastically altered by S.S. Teulon when a chancel was formed on the south side, the pews and most of the galleries removed, the windows enlarged and given new tracery, a new spire was built and the inside refitted.
S. George the Martyr, Queen Square, London WC1
S. George the Martyr, Queen Square, London WC1
S. George the Martyr, Queen Square, London WC1
S. George the Martyr, Queen Square, London WC1
S. Pancras, Euston Road, London NW1

This church was designed by Henry W. & William Inwood in a Greek revival style and was the most expensive of its time at 76,679. The church was consecrated in 1822. The apse has a ring of six Ionic columns. The gallery extends round rest of the church and is supported at the west end by a further six Ionic columns. The stained glass is by Clayton & Bell.
S. Pancras, Euston Road, London NW1
S. Pancras, Euston Road, London NW1
S. Pancras, Euston Road, London NW1
S. Pancras, Euston Road, London NW1
S. Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road, London NW1

This is probably one of the oldest Christian sites in Europe. It has a Saxon altar dating from 600. The chancel was probably rebuilt in 1350. In 1847-8 the church was drastically restored by A.D. Gough and R.L. Roumieu. Joseph Grimaldi, the clown, was married here in 1801.
S. Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road, London NW1
S. Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road, London NW1
S. Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road, London NW1
S. Pancras Old Church, Pancras Road, London NW1
S. Silas the Martyr, St Silas Place, Prince of Wales Road, London NW5
S. Anne Brookfield, Highgate West Hill, London N6

This church was designed by Thomas Bellamy and built in 1852-3. It has a west tower with a tall and graceful broach spire. It was reordered in 1878 and has an assortment on Victorian glass dating from 1860. In 1803 the sanctuary was enlarged and a new east window added.
S. Anne Brookfield, Highgate West Hill, London N6
S. Anne Brookfield, Highgate West Hill, London N6
S. Anne Brookfield, Highgate West Hill, London N6
S. Anne Brookfield, Highgate West Hill, London N6
S. Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, London NW1

This church was the last designed by R.H. Carpenter and was always intended for worship in a Catholic tradition. The Ecclesiologist called it 'the most artistically correct new church yet consecrated in London'. Glass in the east window is by Pugin and made by Hardman.
S. Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, London NW1
S. Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, London NW1
S. Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, London NW1
S. Mary Magdalene, Munster Square, London NW1
Holy Cross, Cromer Street, London WC1

This brick church was built in 1887-8 to the designs of the architect Joseph Peacock in the traditions of the Oxford movement. Successive priests have kept alive Anglo-Catholic traditions here.
Holy Cross, Cromer Street, London WC1
Holy Cross, Cromer Street, London WC1
Holy Cross, Cromer Street, London WC1
Holy Cross, Cromer Street, London WC1
S. Martin, Vicars Road, London NW5

This church was designed by E.B. Lamb and built in 1865. It is ina Gothic style and has an immensely tall tower/
S. Martin, Vicars Road, London NW5
S. Martin, Vicars Road, London NW5
S. Martin, Vicars Road, London NW5
S. Martin, Vicars Road, London NW5
S. Mary Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Road, London NW5

This church was designed by William Butterfield and the nave and aisles opened in 1875; however Butterfield resigned and the chancel was built by W.C. Street in 1881. The church is a polychromatic style with tall clerestories. The font and the pulpit are also by Butterfield. An altar in the south aisle is by Comper.
S. Mary Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Road, London NW5
S. Mary Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Road, London NW5
S. Mary Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Road, London NW5
S. Mary Brookfield, Dartmouth Park Road, London NW5
S. Mary the Virgin, Eversholt Street, London NW1

This Commissioners church was designed by Henry W. & William Inwood in what in called  'Carpenter's Gothic' and was built in 1822-4. In 1888 further work was done to the church under the architect Ewan Christian.
S. Mary the Virgin, Eversholt Street, London NW1
S. Mary the Virgin, Eversholt Street, London NW1
S. Mary the Virgin, Eversholt Street, London NW1
S. Mary the Virgin, Eversholt Street, London NW1
S. Michael, Camden Road, London NW1

This brick church was designed by Bodley and Garner and is their first church in London. The nave and aisle were completed in 1881 and the chancel was consecrated in 1894. A tower was planned but never completed. This church has recently been regenerated and is now in active use with a growing congregation.
S. Michael, Camden Road, London NW1
S. Michael, Camden Road, London NW1
S. Michael, Camden Road, London NW1
S. Michael, Camden Road, London NW1
S. Benet, Lupton Street, London NW5

The original church was built by Joseph Peacock and consecrated in 1885. In 1908 Cecil G. Hare added a chancel, north organ loft, vesteries and south chapel. Peacocks nave became unsafe and was replaced with one designed by Hare in 1928
S. Benet, Lupton Street, London NW5
S. Benet, Lupton Street, London NW5
S. Benet, Lupton Street, London NW5
S. Benet, Lupton Street, London NW5
S. Paul, Camden Square, London NW1
Hospital Chapels
Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London WC1
Chapel of Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street
Chapel of Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street

University College Hospital
Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital
Royal Ear, Nose & Throat Hospital, Gray Inn Road, London WC1
National Hospital, Queen Square, London WC1
S. Pancras Hospital and Hospital for Tropical Diseases

Other churches in the area

Christ the King, Gordon Square, London WC1
In the care of Forward in Faith.
London Area of Forward in Faith

Christ the King, Gordon Square, London WC1
Christ the King, Gordon Square, London WC1
Christ the King, Gordon Square, London WC1
Christ the King, Gordon Square, London WC1
S. Barnabas, Kentish Town Road, London NW1

This church was designed by Ewan Christian and consecrated in 1885, but is now under the care of the Greek Orthodox Church.
S. Barnabas, Kentish Town Road, London NW1
S. Barnabas, Kentish Town Road, London NW1
S. Barnabas, Kentish Town Road, London NW1
S. Barnabas, Kentish Town Road, London NW1
S. Luke, Oseney Crescent, London NW5

Designed by Basil Champneys and built in 1867-9 of red Suffolk brick with stone dressings in a c13 style. It is now used as an artists studio.
S. Luke, Oseney Crescent, London NW5
S. Luke, Oseney Crescent, London NW5
S. Luke, Oseney Crescent, London NW5
S. Luke, Oseney Crescent, London NW5
S. John, Highgate Road, London NW5
This church is no longer used by the Church of England.
S. John, Highgate Road, London NW5
S. John, Highgate Road, London NW5
Home Page Charity No Contacts Location This Week's Services
Royal Visit - Feb 2012 May Devotions 2012 Corpus Christi 2012 Solemn Vespers 2012 S. Silas Day 2012
Solemn First Vespers Solemn Centenary Mass Centenary Requiem 2012 Guidebook & Postcards Maundy Thursday Cards
Society of Mary Church History Vintage Pictures Exterior Chancel & Sanctuary
Interior Chapels & Altars Statues & Shrines Stained Glass Sacristy
The Music & the Organs Organists Christmas Card 2016 Past Events Epiphany 2003
Flowers S. Silas Churches Prayer Stations of the Cross Pillar Banners
Pictures Nina Somerset Benjamin C. Boulter Mystery Plays The Rosary
Organisations Who is Saint Silas? S. Silas, Apostle Priests of S. Silas Latin Inscriptions
Monthly Papers 100 Years Ago Ernest C. Shearman Shearman Churches Shearman Biography
Hymns to S. Silas S. Silas Day Flowers Banners War Memorial Benefactors
Recordings at S. Silas Holy Trinity Holy T. Sunday School South Camden Deanery Charles Williams
TS Eliot Illustrated Souvenir Link Churches Friends of S. Silas St Silas - Blackburn
S. Silas - Gembrook St Silas - Byker S. Silas - Albert Park S. Silas Balwyn North St Silas, Redwood, NZ
Novena to St. Silas Museo Guinigi, Lucca Elmhurst Ballet School St Silas Icons Camden's Lost Churches
20 years @ S Silas Talking to God Images of S Silas London Churches
Saint Silas Church, Kentish Town, London, NW5.